Monday 14 July 2014

How can a woman possibly write a play about a homosexual love affair?

"....Number one, Rob - I don’t "fuck" your daughter. And number two - I’d finish with Daisy tomorrow if you asked me to. It’s you I’m in love with, you know it is…."


So, people have asked me, how can a woman possibly write a play about a homosexual love affair... which is a fair question to pose... I suppose...

But it's not a play about gay sex.

It's a story about love.

And in this particular story the two humans who fall deeply and very passionately in love with one another happen to be men.

It's not really a piece of erotica, there aren't great long scenes focusing on the mechanics of homosexual sex...

As far as the play is concerned, sex is sex... love is love...

The emotions we experience when we fall desperately, and very genuinely in love, tend to be the same, whether we are young or old, male or female, trans, gay, straight, bisexual...


The craving...

The euphoria...

The insecurity...

The jealousy...

The ache...

The longing...

The sleepless nights and the desperate days...

The hopes...

The dreams...

The ridiculous fragility of it all...


I know more about love than almost any other subject, or state of being.

I know much of the neurology - The physical architecture of the brain in love

I know lots of the ecstasy - the blissful sensation of achieving totally mutual, unconditional love...

I know even more of the misery - the feeling like a physical tear in your heart when your love is not reciprocated... the torture of unrequited love....


And these are my credentials for exploring and writing about love...

No comments:

Post a Comment